Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A story you can probably relate to.

How many of you can relate to this? Need something from the store. Do NOT like Wal-Mart--okay, understatement of the century--would pay an extra dollar per item to NOT go to Wal-Mart, so you decide to hit up Target instead. The wonderful wonderful Target with their Isaac Mizrahi dress/casual clothes screaming your name, and their oh-so-appealing shoe department with cute things for the entire family, and let's not forget the home decor aisles of pure delight. You only need to get one or two things and it will just be in and out. Easy. And the bathroom is by the door so the little girl with the little bladder will be able to stop quickly and run in while you check ou the "Dollar Spot". So you walk in and, of course, the popcorn is fresh and you MUST buy the "dollar combo" (as Amos calls it) for a small popcorn and small pop. A small price to pay for sanity and being able to make it around without the kids saying how hungry they are. side note: Don't you know that the workers there can't stand the "dollar combo"? There are trails of kernals from every cart that is toteing around a bag of the yummy distraction. Anyway, so as you are weaving your way through the aisles of pure delight, dropping popcorn along the way, and trying to refrain from salivating at all of the great finds around every corner along comes a "Price Cut" item that caught your eye the last time you were in (which just happens to be the night before). Something you certainly don't need to live, but there is only one left in the style you like. You pick it up and think, "Hmmmmm.....I'll just treat myself to this one item. It's under ten bucks. No biggie." In the cart it goes, cushioned by the numerous coats and the bed of popcorn that has now piled up in the cart. On to the next thing....or two....or three...

You check your phone to see what time it is. No need for a watch anymore. Besides, there haasn't been a good "Price Cut" on them in awhile so we really haven't felt justified in even thinking about buying one. But when you check it is now about 45 minutes later. What!? Where did the last 45 minutes go? How could a 15 minute trip turn into 45? How does this happen every single time I walk through the doors here? What? I didn't see this aisle yet.....they totally have all new hairties in for spring...this would go great with the little skirt I got for Ella the other day. WAIT!!! AHHHHH! I'm supposed to be somewhere in like 10 minutes. I gotta run to the checkout to buy the two things I came in for.

Get to the front. Finally. And you see them. Screaming your name from across the line at the front. So strategically place to call at every mother on the planet. The lint roller right next to the Shout wipes calling you to pick them up. "Oh well, I need them anyway and here they are. Right here. I'll probably forget later if I don't just pick them up. And I need to be somewhere--like now. I'll just grab them." The lady (or man) asks if you have "any Target rewards or giftcards" to use. Nope. Are they handing them out for free? Please? The kids have already put everything on the conveyor belt for your convenience. She (or he) is ringing everything up and then the TOTAL. Holy junk!!!! Over $50! HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME?! EVERYTIME?! I seriously cannot get out of this store for under $50!! I look at everything I am buying and it all makes so much sense. "Price Cuts"...or two...or three, lint roller, Shout wipes, the things I actually came in for... So I get it all and suck it up. And I promise that I will not be back......at least not until tomorrow.

7 comments:

quiltmaker said...

Oh my gosh! This is so hilarious and hits right here at home - well....Noel's anyway. She LOVES Target. I like Walmart. If I am feeling "down", all I have to do is go to Walmart and just push an empty cart around and then I feel better. We are both "bargain" (junk) shoppers too!

Domestic Diva said...

Quiltmaker, when we moved to a new town, my hubby and I used to go to walmart, fill our cart and then put it all back!

Nobody, I do love Target!!!! I can never get out of the store for then $50 either....but I will say, that when we were there and made a Target trip, we were for a short time!....but we had scrapbooking in mind!

Funny post!

Amos said...

Gosh, are you following me around with a camera telling my whole Target life story here or what? I always knew you were a spy somehow! LOL. You hit the nail right on the head there. Those stores have a secret vaccum that just sucks you in and won't let you out without spending and bargaining.

the Clarks said...

Im that exact same way, I cant believe my total when I check out. That's why you SHOULD go to Walmart. You can just run in and get what you need there. Target makes you go down aisles you dont need to.

amazingbrenda said...

LOl, Holly junk!!! indeed my friend. That's so very true though. I know, I swear every time I went to Wal-Mart for X-mas it was over $50 worth of stuff, food, whatever, not t mention the stuff we bought to bring with us.

Although I do LOOOOOVE Target, it's my favorite store. Wal-Mart for the convenience of being, well right down the street.

I wish they had something like a Target or Wal-Mart here. That will never happen!!! Maybe in like 100 years.

quiltmaker said...

Amazing Brenda - girl how do you get out of Walmart for only $50???!!! I swear I spend AT LEAST $178 and when I get home, I have nothing to show for it except and empty checkbook :-( I have to admit to Domestic Diva that I have spent HOURS in Walmart putting stuff in my cart, taking it out, putting it back, taking it out.........

Ali Kat said...

LOL! That happens to me every time I go in to Superstore (the canadian version of Target - just not as good)! The other day, I actually had to breast feed in the change room because I had been trying on a bathing suit and she saw my bare boobs and decided it was lunch time! Oops, it actually was lunch time ;) Now I can add that to having fed in a bathroom (on the counter) and the car!